Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

You Think Wrestling Is Fake?

Go down 
+4
andyconda
kasey
CgrGrl
jeanie50
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jeanie50

Reputations : 5470
Good Karma : 5

You Think Wrestling Is Fake? Empty
PostSubject: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 13th 2009, 21:41

Wrestling is real for me.
Back to top Go down
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

Reputations : 5537
Good Karma : 10
Job/hobbies : Librarian's Assistant
Humor : Some would say sarcastic

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 14th 2009, 12:38

I guess for me it's a yes and no. Now admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about it. My son liked it for a while and one of my best friends did too so she would come over and watch with him and I was usually reading or something. But, from what I gleaned, the storylines are what soaps are made of. But, it takes a real athlete to do what they do. As far as the matches, I just don't know if they are completely scripted or if the guys are told to put on a good show and the winner is the one who does the best or what.
Back to top Go down
kasey

kasey

Reputations : 5480
Humor : I have it and then some...

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 18th 2009, 21:55

Years ago, I'm talking mid 1980's, I used to watch WWF wrestling every Saturday morning. This was the era of when Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant reigned supreme. Sometimes when I watched it, it was just way too over the top for my taste. But for the most part it was really entertaining.

There were two wrestlers around that time. One was Sgt Slaughter and the other was the Shah of Iran(or something like that). They capitalized on the patriotic aspect of the way the world was going and it was good.

I've watched it sporactically over the last few years and it seemed to have lost a lot of it's luster. In the 80's, it was unusual to fight outside the ring, use chairs, etc. There seemed to be more art than sensationalism then. But that's just me....
Back to top Go down
andyconda

andyconda

Reputations : 5461
Job/hobbies : work
Humor : snake eyes

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 19th 2009, 00:38

I went to wrestling matches when I was a kid. The old school wrestlers
like the Von Erichs, "Wahoo" McDaniel, Red Bastien, "Crusher" Staziak,
Ivan Putski, Andre The Giant, Jose Lathario, and "Blackjack" Mulligan.
It was great entertainment when I was young. Looking back in retrospect
it seemed like a mixture of fake and real. They didn't get "down and
dirty" in local venues as far as rivalry like they did on T.V. I'm sure
a lot of them had a beer together on the bus before they went to the
next town. This was in the 70s before wrestling became a corporate
market. At one time I had a pretty nice autograph collection from
wrestlers. They're long gone. I do remember that being next to Andre
The Giant was like being next to the Empire State Building.
Back to top Go down
catchmeifyoucan
Admin
catchmeifyoucan

Reputations : 5486

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 19th 2009, 00:45

Professional Wrestling is "real" wrestling, however, the moves are
choreographed to provide the audience with thrills, and to ensure that
the wrestlers will not get seriously hurt.

The wrestlers know the outcome of the match, except for the referees,
however, there are times when a wrestler who is supposed to win
actually loses the match because the other wrestler didn't follow the
choreography.

Just like the NFL choreographs their moves (and they do), so does
professional wrestling. What makes professional wrestling not be
considered a sport is the fact that there is acting involved and
gimmicks. If there were no acting involved and no gimmicks,
professional wrestling would be considered a sport.
Back to top Go down
catchmeifyoucan
Admin
catchmeifyoucan

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 19th 2009, 00:52

Continued from above:

Vince McMahon made it this way, because, as he said, the world of
professional sports (i.e., football, boxing, etc.) is too strict. He
says he likes the fact that his organization doesn't have to follow
strict city to city by-laws for professional sporting events, as his
organization is billed as "entertainment."
Back to top Go down
kasey

kasey

Reputations : 5480
Humor : I have it and then some...

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 19th 2009, 01:11

I'm sorry but you mention the NFL and WWF being choreographed and I get a picture in my head of big, muscular guys wearing tutus....

I know...go to sleep Kasey...
Back to top Go down
catchmeifyoucan
Admin
catchmeifyoucan

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 19th 2009, 14:23

kasey wrote:
I'm sorry but you mention the NFL and WWF being choreographed and I get a picture in my head of big, muscular guys wearing tutus....

I know...go to sleep Kasey...

Kasey not dancing choreographed, meant how sports player are taught different moves.
On a personal note I would pay big bucks to see wrestlers and nfl brutes dressed in tutus. Suppose goes back when Sexy Joe Namath shaved his legs and wore pantyose for a commercial.

Blip dug up Laughing Joe Namath Wears Panty Hose

If ever a sports personality was perfect for
selling stuff on TV commercials, it was Broadway Joe. Men loved him
because he was a pretty darned great athlete, one who put the AFL on
even ground with the NFL by beating the Colts in Super Bowl III. And the ladies loved him because he was a good-looking bad boy.

Joe's commercials included some sexy spots with unknown model Farrah
Fawcett selling Noxzema shaving cream. Obviously, Joe's sports hero
appeal to guys was greatly overshadowed by that provided by the lovely
future Mrs. Majors.

But if he was hawking Right Guard deodorant, it was Joe the quarterback who was selling to America's guys.

In 1974, he filmed a commercial for Beautymist pantyhose. The camera
started at a shapely pair of feet attached to a reclined pair of legs.
It slowly, seductively panned upward over the calves, knees, then
thighs. Finally, it showed the owner of said gams: JOE NAMATH!

His men fans were flustered. The women? Well, Beautymist sold a whole bunch of pantyhose that year.

Joe was quoted in the commercial (it's on YouTube) as saying "Now I
DON'T wear pantyhose." Okay, Joe, I don't either, but we have
photographic evidence that you did, at least once!

But it was a very effective ad. Joe's knees were famous for their
multiple surgeries at that point. And the ladies were certainly
impressed at the way they made those poor, scarred joints look. Sales
went up: the bottom line of advertising.

His reputation took a hit among his male fans. But it was just a
blip on the screen, really, and it wasn't long before they were
laughing about it.

So I guess the historical impact of Broadway Joe's pantyhose-clad
legs was that it caused a general lightening-up amongst the masses.

And there's no doubt that that is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Gabby

Gabby

Reputations : 5511

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 21st 2009, 16:39

EWWWWWWW Razz Wrestling is fake to the extent that it is rehersed and the people are
not monsters back from the dead or are turning good or evil. BUT!
People do get hurt and that is real, although sometimes it is hard to
tell when an accident has been set up or real. I think of it as a soap
opera.
Back to top Go down
**ash**

**ash**

Reputations : 5432

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 29th 2009, 11:40

kay, so i am a die-hard wrestling fan and my little brother is too. (ive watched it since i could walk...GO ROCK! lol) and i know that the moves are choreographed (like my dance routines)

but i have to say this: those moves HAVE to hurt! I mean, getting thrown off a 20 ft. ladder into the middle of the ring has to hurt. and having your head bounce between the ropes have to give you pretty bad whip-lash.

Yet, my brother dis-agrees. he says it's fake, so in turn, the moves they do don't hurt since they're trained to recieve them.

But, I read somewhere (sometime ago) that even though the outcome of the match is known, the order in which the moves are delivered and what moves are delivered aren't known.

So, yeah. I am now utterly confused. I still think that my lil bro is wrong....but im the older sister, i think im supposed to think im always right. can someone help me? is there any truth or "right-ness" to my arguement?
Back to top Go down
jeanie50

Reputations : 5470

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptyJune 29th 2009, 19:20

**ash** wrote:
kay, so i am a die-hard wrestling fan and my little brother is too. (ive watched it since i could walk...GO ROCK! lol) and i know that the moves are choreographed (like my dance routines)

but i have to say this: those moves HAVE to hurt! I mean, getting thrown off a 20 ft. ladder into the middle of the ring has to hurt. and having your head bounce between the ropes have to give you pretty bad whip-lash.

Yet, my brother dis-agrees. he says it's fake, so in turn, the moves they do don't hurt since they're trained to recieve them.

But, I read somewhere (sometime ago) that even though the outcome of the match is known, the order in which the moves are delivered and what moves are delivered aren't known.

So, yeah. I am now utterly confused. I still think that my lil bro is wrong....but im the older sister, i think im supposed to think im always right. can someone help me? is there any truth or "right-ness" to my arguement?

Agree with you in a some aspects and others feel the game or wresting isn't real it a staged production. My brother used to wrestle his was mat. He told me that wrestlers like Hulk Holgen and Ivan the Great (not sure on name) were true wrestlers and didn't do as much of a act. Now days it's a big production that is thought out and drawn up to the tee. Hope this helps. Look at the full history of wresting helps determine when things changed. Like boxing not always real, some of the boxing is stages as well. Think goes for all sports in some way or another
Back to top Go down
Drank

Reputations : 5489

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? EmptySeptember 12th 2009, 19:51

dude wrestings fake like wwr cuz funny moves they make. my friend has a cousin who wrestles like wrestles mat style and he says no way are they real. no big we like sport for fun of slams. wham-o
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You Think Wrestling Is Fake?   You Think Wrestling Is Fake? Empty

Back to top Go down

You Think Wrestling Is Fake?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Discussion Den :: Anything Goes :: Sports Arena :: WWR-
Jump to: