Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Offer to board members

Go down 
+2
kasey
CgrGrl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

Reputations : 5516
Good Karma : 10
Job/hobbies : Librarian's Assistant
Humor : Some would say sarcastic

Offer to board members Empty
PostSubject: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyMay 28th 2009, 00:27

I made this offer on the last board and I'll do it here. I'm a trained reader's advisor so if you are stumped on what you might want to read, shoot me a pm and I'll help you find something. study
Back to top Go down
kasey

kasey

Reputations : 5459
Good Karma : 5
Humor : I have it and then some...

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyMay 28th 2009, 01:26

Wow that's really cool Deb...I would love to read anything you would think I would like...
Back to top Go down
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyMay 28th 2009, 02:33

Just tell me a couple of books you liked and why and I'll take it from there.
Back to top Go down
ladyh

ladyh

Reputations : 5478
Job/hobbies : Reading, running, hanging out
Humor : Hope so

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyMay 28th 2009, 09:20

sweet offer cgrgrl
Back to top Go down
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 8th 2009, 11:56

Are you looking for fantasy as well or strictly sci fi?

As far as a recommendation, everybody should read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

You could also try Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
-Summary: A veteran of years of simulated war games, Ender believes he is engaged in one more computer war game when in truth he is commanding the last fleet of Earth against an alien race seeking the complete destruction of Earth.-

Or
The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer
-Summary: In futuristic Satellite City, fourteen-year-old Cosmo Hill escapes from his abusive orphanage and teams up with three other people who share his unusual ability to see supernatural creatures, and together they determine the nature and purpose of the swarming blue Parasites that are invisible to most humans.

If you are looking for something a little more specific, let me know what your current favorite books/authors are and I'll find something similar.
Back to top Go down
Seleets

Reputations : 5426

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 8th 2009, 12:33

CgrGrl wrote:
Are you looking for fantasy as well or strictly sci fi?

As far as a recommendation, everybody should read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

You could also try Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
-Summary: A veteran of years of simulated war games, Ender believes he is engaged in one more computer war game when in truth he is commanding the last fleet of Earth against an alien race seeking the complete destruction of Earth.-

Or
The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer
-Summary: In futuristic Satellite City, fourteen-year-old Cosmo Hill escapes from his abusive orphanage and teams up with three other people who share his unusual ability to see supernatural creatures, and together they determine the nature and purpose of the swarming blue Parasites that are invisible to most humans.

If you are looking for something a little more specific, let me know what your current favorite books/authors are and I'll find something similar.

more steven king fan he hasn't written nothing new long time.

thanks not a fantasy buff sci fi or horror my style.
Back to top Go down
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 8th 2009, 12:49

You might want to try Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

Another author that you might like is Peter Straub. He's a mixture of supernatural and horror who's been compared to King.

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons is another one to try.
Back to top Go down
**ash**

**ash**

Reputations : 5411

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 12th 2009, 19:12

Have you heard of the book, Dead Before Dawn? I found it at the store while my parents were shopping and I only got to read the prologue before we had to go and I didn't get to buy it. I thought it was good, but now I can't find it anymore. Thanks!! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 12th 2009, 19:31

If it's the right one, Dead Before Dawn was written by Laurie John with contributions from Francine Pascal and is eighth book in the series Sweet Valley University thrillers.

Summary

With less than forty-eight hours to find out who has poisoned him and why before death comes knocking, Bruce Patman discovers everyone around him has a secret, including Lila Fowler, the woman he loves.
Back to top Go down
Seleets

Reputations : 5426

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 12th 2009, 19:35

CgrGrl wrote:
You might want to try Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

Another author that you might like is Peter Straub. He's a mixture of supernatural and horror who's been compared to King.

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons is another one to try.

heard of summer of night buy online thanks cgrgrl summer reads for sure
Back to top Go down
**ash**

**ash**

Reputations : 5411

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 12th 2009, 19:40

thank you sooooo much! now i can try to find the book now that I know the author! thank you (again) sooooo much!!! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 12th 2009, 22:44

You guys are very welcome. study
Back to top Go down
kasey

kasey

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 12th 2009, 22:57

Oh..my daughter wanted me to ask you. What are some good lesbian books? She likes anything with that vibe ~ romance, biography, etc.

I was thinking maybe a couple of biographies. She's never been a good reader and it never interested her. But now that she's found something that interests her, she goes to the library all the time. It's really cool to see....
Back to top Go down
~V~
Admin

Reputations : 5739
Good Karma : 1

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 12th 2009, 23:19

not to take away from Kasey but our trip is approaching fast. Pretty sure will need a good read or two while I'm away at least one for me and one for my hubby.

He's a Tom Clancy type of guy me I like mysteries. Not a one person author Any good books came out lately? Also like short poetry and short shorties as well. In fact just finished reading Small Wonders by Barbra Kingsolver and enjoyed the whole book very much.

SOS.

thank you very much for any help D
Back to top Go down
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 14th 2009, 13:30

Kasey -
An author your daughter might want to check out is Katherine V. Forest. Her books cross genres, but they all have lesbian main characters. I do know that her book Curious Wine got great reviews. I think if she read her, she would get an idea of what genre interests her and then I could give her better recommendations. Or, she could be like me and read many different genres.

Another book she might want to read is Bittersweet by Nevada Barr
-Summary: Teacher Imogene Grelznik protects her pupil, Sarah Tolstonadge, from her abusive husband, and the two fall in love but have to move from Pennsylvania to Nevada to stay together

V-
Any book by Stephan Coontz or Dale Brown should be something your husband would enjoy. I know both of those authors are very popular.

You might want to try Homeland and other Storys that is also written by Barbara Kingsolver
-Summary: Presents a selection of stories featuring characters bound by a strong sense of place and the ties of love and family history, in such tales as "Blueprints," "Why I Am a Danger to the Public," and "Homeland".

It might be hard to find, but a book that you should like is The best American Short Stories, 2001 and the publisher is Houghton Mifflin.

As for poetry Elephant Rocks: Poems by Kay Ryan has gotten great reviews.
Back to top Go down
kasey

kasey

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 14th 2009, 14:48

Thanks...I'll pass it along...when she's in a better mood...hope books are still in print then...
Back to top Go down
CgrGrl

CgrGrl

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 14th 2009, 15:59

kasey wrote:
Thanks...I'll pass it along...when she's in a better mood...hope books are still in print then...
Uh oh, sounds like there is much peace in your house.
Back to top Go down
~V~
Admin

Reputations : 5739
Good Karma : 1

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 14th 2009, 16:35

Thanks D a couple of those books my in-laws have. To bad it won't help me on the way over.....anyways I'll be heading to Third Place Books this week they have a wonderful selection of books and so forth.
Back to top Go down
kasey

kasey

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members EmptyJune 14th 2009, 20:12

CgrGrl wrote:
kasey wrote:
Uh oh, sounds like there is much peace in your house.

The Middle East has more peace than in my house at times....

And I'm only somewhat exaggerating...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Offer to board members   Offer to board members Empty

Back to top Go down

Offer to board members
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Discussion Den :: Anything Goes :: The Bookworm-
Jump to: